Search This Blog

Background Design

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Clinic 4 Kidz: Day 3

Another day of therapy has come and gone!  So far we've made some pretty good progress, but this is not a miracle quick fix and Abby continues on with her same behaviors.  The difference is I will now respond to them much differently!

Today we almost reached a caloric total of just under 700 calories!!! So awesome! We increased her solids to 1.5 ozs per feed and her milk is still at 1oz per session.  Abby definitely seems to gravitate towards fruits and sweeter foods, but we really do want to get some veggies in there, so we have decided to start mixing in veggies into the fruit and slowly over time we will increase the amount of veggies and decrease the amount of fruits (for her vegetable foods that is).


Today she had many new foods - yam with pure maple syrup puree which we mixed with some fruit and tried it on its own and she accepted both!  We also tried mini pancakes which she seemed to want to eat but had trouble biting it due to its spongey texture.  We tried Dr. Pragaer broccoli/potato bites, sweet potato fries, sweet potato bites, teriyaki meat ball and raspberries - out of all of that she only liked the raspberries and possibly the broccoli/potato bites.

Ohhh and for breakfast Allyne decided to add whipped cream to her "finger food" time and gave her a little bowl and spoon and Abby was ecstatic with it! Here's a little clip..


I was trained today to feed Abby as well - that was a fun part haha.  The way that they train you is they first feed you (with water on the spoon) and then I feed Allyne and she will do some of Abbys behaviors and I have to react the way I will with Abby.  Interesting concept! :)  Sorry no video of that one...maybe I'll catch Matt being trained on Friday and show you how that looks!! :)

I'm tired today so I don't have the energy to give a detailed low down of the day, so check out the video below for some of todays feeds....



Today was the first day that I did a milk feed and a solid feed and let me tell you it's a lot harder than I thought!  With the milk feed you have to hold the bottle a certain way, you have to put it in her mouth a certain way, you have to say the drink command, but not too often to annoy her, and I have to have my hand under her chin to support mouth closure, but then if she lets the milk spill out I have to put my finger up to her lip to support lip closure... I need 4 hands it seems! haha.

For the solid feed I have to make sure Abby is engaged in her toys, I have to offer the food at the right time with the right amount on the spoon, I have to say "open ahh" first, but not too often like I did in the video so I don't irritate her, I have to say "big ahh" if she doesn't open wide enough, and I have to say "finish" if she prematurely closes her mouth. I have to remember not to say "can you finish the bite" and only say "finish", or not to say "are you ready for dinner" but "its time to eat" - it doesn't sound too hard but to remember what to do and when takes some getting used to!  We are definitely seeing improvement though, in my first solid feed today which was for dinner, I got her to open wide for every bite (with some help sometimes) and she ate 1.5ozs in 10 minutes!!! Last week that would have taken me 30+ minutes or not have happened at all! We're excited!

We will weigh Abby on Friday so I'll let you know how much she gained this week!! Whoo hoooo!!

Until tomorrow... good nighht!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment