Search This Blog

Background Design

Friday, May 10, 2013

"She'll grow out of it"


I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say to me, "don't worry, she'll grow out of it" - though I know how well meaning they are trying to be, it makes my skin crawl.

First of all, I've been hearing this from the beginning of Abby's feeding problems, and it's 8+ months later and she still hasn't "grown" out of it, nor has it improved.  Nor do I believe that it is something she will "grow" out of (though, Lord if this is your will I will NOT complain ;) ), I believe it is something that has to be taught to her. And that is my responsibility - to teach my child how to eat food, enjoy food and know that food is good for you.

Second - when someone says that to me, whether it's meant to make me feel this way or not, it makes me feel like the here and the now don't matter.  Almost, like a pat on the back "it'll get better". But the reality is that I am living it day in and day out and I HAVE to address that there is a problem and try to help her out NOW - not wait until she outgrows it or it miraculously disappears.  (Again, Lord if that is your will, I will not complain!!) :)

Here are a couple of eating myths that I read on the SOS Approach website that I thought might put a few things into perspective for well-meaing persons who simply don't get it (it's not their faults, this is just a foreign concept to everyone who has never had to experience it).  

Myth - Eating is Instinctive

Eating is only an instinctive drive for the first month of life.  From birth to 3-4 months of age, we have a set of primitive motor reflexes (e.g. rooting, sucking, swallowing) which help us eat while we lay down pathways in the brain for voluntary motor control over eating.  Between the end of the 5th or 6th months of life, these primitive motor reflexes "drop out" and eating is essentially a learned motor behavior after 6 months of age.  [In Abby's case, those primitive motor reflexes weren't even instinctive for her.  She did not have the rooting or sucking reflex.]

Myth - Eating is Easy

Eating is the MOST complex physical task that human beings engage in.  It is the ONLY human task which requires every one of your organ systems, and requires that all of those systems work correctly.  In addition, EVERY muscle in the body is involved (one swallow for example, takes 26 muscles and 6 cranial nerves to coordinate).  Plus, eating is the ONLY task children do which requires simultaneous coordination of all 8 of our sensory systems.  Learning, development, nutrition and the environment also have to be integrated in to make sure a child eats correctly.

Myth - If a child is hungry enough, he/she will eat.  They will not starve themselves.

This is true for about 94-96% of the pediatric population.  For the other 4-6% of the pediatric population who have feeding problems, they will "starve" themselves (usually inadvertently however).  For the majority of children with feeding difficulties, eating doesn't work and/or it hurts, and NO amount of hunger is going to overcome that fact.  Children are organized simply; if it hurts, don't do it.  If it doesn't work; cry and/or run away.  Also for the children who have skill or medical problems with eating, their appetite often becomes suppressed over time, such that they no longer respond correctly to appetite as a cue to eat a sufficient number of calories.  [Abby is one of those babies who would starve herself and be perfectly happy doing so.  I have heard this myth from so many people, even those near and dear to me.  I would have been one of those to say that as well, but now I know better!]

And now you know.  The end. 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment